And Then There Were Three!


Well, two bags of the multipurpose compost and three of the topsoil down, means we now have a new raised veg. bed….


…. which, nestled between the two we did last year, means that now, we have three!


I have been conscious for some time now, that the Eucalyptus in the front garden was hurtling toward the telephone wires and really needed to be cut back. I know that they can be cut hard back and will regrow from the base with a flurry of fresh, new foliage, but, as I’m growing it mainly for its bark, I wanted to keep the trunk, so I considered pollarding it instead. First attempt! Rather scared!


After (Mr. Chef) brandishing the chain saw, we now have a serious amount of beautiful top growth, to dispose of, a full garden recycling bin, and several trunks/branches – some destined for firewood for the stove, and the thinner pieces for edging beds in the Woodland. I wanted one of the trunks removed at the base, to leave a balanced group of three trunks….


….so then there were three!

The next task was to assemble a new raised planter we had bought, to grow more strawberries. You can never have enough strawberries! We had bought one plus an extension kit, with liners, to give us two more strawberry beds….


….giving us (you’ve guessed it!) three!

Now we just need three days to recover!!

13 thoughts on “And Then There Were Three!

  1. Chloris

    Seriously good work done, you must be pleased. So that is how you fill raised beds. It sounds too easy. When the Pianist made my raised veggy beds a couple of years ago I never thought of buying stuff. I thought you had to fill them up with homemade compost, leaves and grass cuttings, paper, cardboard, wood ash, manure, and the odd dead goat. Really back-breaking work. I shouldn’t have listened to Bob Flowerdew. Never trust a man with a pony tail.

    1. thelonggardenpath Post author

      Ha,ha! 🙂 That may be one way to do it, but, as you say, it sounds very long winded and hard work. Our way may not be so “green”, as it were, and more costly, but it was easy, with instant results. If it helps, the empty compost bags were recycled as covers, to keep the weeds down, and the cats at bay, till we are ready to plant. Besides, my justification for this “extravagant” solution, is that we have such a weed problem, including borage seedlings from our own compost, now spread around the garden, that we wanted raised beds with completely fresh soil, to combat this. There! Conscious clear!

      1. Chloris

        Oh Ali, I’ m not criticising you, I’ m just jealous that I never thought of it. At the moment my boxes have a top layer of manure which has been worrying me as I can’ t sow seeds into it. But now I know what to do. And no more dead goats, it’ s unsanitary.

  2. Cathy

    Hmm, I’ll have to remind the Golfer of that the next time we visit either you or Chloris again – or would you not count his a as a pony tail…?! You have made fantastic inroads into all your tasks Ali – and I am sure you will have indulged in 3 pieces of cake after all your efforts 😉

  3. thelonggardenpath Post author

    Oh, dear! I do keep putting my foot in it! Don’t worry! You’re most welcome again – and the scissors will be well hidden!
    It’s nice to get started again, in the garden, with new projects. I love crossing something off the huge job list. We did indulge ourselves afterwards – but not with 3 bits of cake!

  4. Annette

    Such pretty raised beds, well done! We only garden with those in the potager and it’s so handy, wouldn’t want to be without them. Looking forward to seeing things grow in yours 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s